Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Overdrive

Jim,

You asked for comments on Overdrive, and I have 3:

1) I tried to download “The Count of Monte Cristo”, but it said my computer has a problem with the DRM. Overdrive says that I’ve checked it out, but I can’t listen to it. I clicked on the “Help” button which brought up an email to the webmaster, but it’s been several hours and I haven’t gotten a response back at all (not even a “I’ve received your request and will get to it as soon as possible”)
2) I noticed some holes in the collection. For instance, in the “Teen” collection, it had the 1st and 3rd of Stephenie Meyer’s trilogy available, but not the 2nd. I also noticed that even though that trilogy is definitely fantasy (enjoyed by both adults and tee, it doesn’t come up in the fantasy list, only in the teen list. I noticed holes in other books that came in series, too.
3) It would be nice to have a little button that lets a patron know if a particular title is immediately available. It was very nice to have buttons that let the patron know whether a title could be burned to a CD or placed on hold, but there’s no easy way of sorting for or seeing if something is available for immediate checkout.

Hope this helps,
-Kathy

What surprised me? I didn't expect any books could be burned to CD! So to have at least some of them available that way startled me pleasantly.

No comments: