Tuesday, May 20, 2008

del.icio.us and tagging

I have already been using del.icio.us before this "20 for 2.0" module. My story: MacAfee updated my virus software without notice or my permission, and the update disabled my Internet connection. My computer could see the connection, but couldn't connect, and I couldn't figure out why. I tried everything, including paying for a customer support call. In desperation, I ended up completely reformatting my computer. Of course, I backed up my files, but when it came to load everything back, I realized I hadn't backed up my favorites. This was NOT GOOD, as I had been collecting good sites throughout my years as a MLIS student, and they were now gone-kaput-vanished. When I finally figured out what MacAfee had done because I saw the charge on my Visa bill, I was irate but the damage had been done. I figured that there had to be a better way, and that is when I decided to try del.icio.us.

It is great! I can mark cool sites, label them, and I can access it all from multiple locations. Best of all, if my computer crashes again, I won't lose my collected favorite sites. The disadvantage is that I need to remember to consult my favorite sites rather than default to Google.

One aspect that I hadn't used at all before was the social networking aspect. If I'm looking for resources for my storytime, I don't have to rely just on my sites. I can see what others have bookmarked as good storytime resources. This means my resources have expanded so I can see what others think are good resources, and I can access them, too. Cool!

No comments: