Saturday, April 5, 2008

RSS feeds

I already use the Google reader at home, and I love it! Just like the video from the Common Craft Show says, I can see at a glance which blogs that I follow have posts that I haven’t read yet. I am able to skim through multiple posts on very active blogs to quickly find interesting topics. Like I stated in my criteria in my original blog, it saves me time and helps me manage my information flow. I just started a Google reader account here at work as well.
Most of the blogs that I cover are library-related somehow: LibrarianInBlack is great for finding useful websites, LISNews is great for keeping up with library news and issues throughout the North American continent, and I follow The Annoyed Librarian for her caustic commentaries, among others. But I also follow a humorous political blog and a favorite author’s blog.
Because my RSS blog reader keeps me well plugged in to the library world, I have decided to let my membership in ALA lapse: I never end up reading the printed journal they send out, and the weekly email is annoying. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m staying connected through my membership in my local Library Association for networking purposes, but following blogs through my reader is my favorite way of keeping connected to the broader library world.

1 comment:

Jim McCluskey said...

I couldn't agree more about the paper journals, I look at them mainly to find the articles I want to put in my delicious feed so I can retrieve them later about a topic.

btw--good thoughtful stuff in your blog :)